Friday, November 5, 2010

Veggie Burger Salad


My mind has been consumed lately by the fact that my college career is coming to an end in the very near future.  The pressure to find a job after graduation has suddenly become a suffocating reality that grows stronger and stronger with each day that I am unemployed.  To ease my anxiety, I’ve been racking my brain for any contacts I’ve made over the years and how I could somehow find an in into the PR industry after graduation.  Past internships came to mind, and one in particular got my taste buds excited.

There’s a great restaurant in the Murray Hill area of New York called Penelope that I frequented at least once a week last summer while interning.  My favorite dish was their “When Veggie Met Sally” salad that including a perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors.  Apples and veggie burger may sound…interesting…together, but I’m sure cheese and apples did too.  And look how good that turned out!

Veggie Burger Salad
Original photos by Culinary Chronicles of a College Kid.blogspot.com
Adapted recipe from Penelope

Serves 1

  • 1 granny smith apple
  • 1 veggie burger
  • mixed greens (I used spinach)
  • ¼ cup of red onion
  • ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese (the original recipe called for goat cheese, but who has that in their fridge?)
  • balsamic vinaigrette

Cook the veggie burger according to package instructions.  As this is cooking, peel and slice the apple into small pieces.  Combine the salad, apples, cheese, onion, and veggie burger in a bowl.  Toss with the balsamic vinaigrette and enjoy!

This dish is really great when you are in the mood for a light, quick meal.  Especially after eating too many leftover treats from experimenting for the Today Show

Total time: 8 minutes

2 comments: