Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chickpea and Raisin Couscous


I know couscous is not typically found in a college setting, as most college kids probably have never even heard of it before.  But that doesn’t mean it can’t be made in a dorm or college kitchen!  Couscous is similar to pastina, or very tiny pasta, for those of you who are still confused.  It originated in North Africa and is now popular in all parts of the world.  There are so many different combinations of vegetables, fruits, and spices that you can add to couscous, which is what makes it so fun to cook with.  Also, it is very easy and quick to make.

I found this particular recipe in one of my mom's old Everyday Food magazines, and decided it was just what I needed to change up my diet a little bit.  I don’t know about you guys, but I find myself making the same meals numerous times throughout the week, so I felt that this was a different, yet not too overwhelming way of deviating from the norm. 

Chickpea and Raisin Couscous
Adapted recipe and photos by Culinary Chronicles of a College Kid.blogspot.com
Original recipe from Everyday Food, March 2006

  • ½ cup couscous
  • 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 cup water
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

In a small pot, combine chickpeas, raisins, oil, water, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.  Once this has reached the desired temperature, stir in the couscous and cover the pot.  After a few minutes (3-4), check on the couscous and stir to make sure that none sticks to the bottom of the pot.  When all water is absorbed and couscous is fluffy, take the pot off of the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to cool.  Enjoy!


Hopefully the fact that this dish is somewhat exotic, compared to most college cooking, doesn’t scare you guys away.  Try something new!  I don’t think this recipe will disappoint.

The recipe makes enough for four, so I saved the leftovers and had a bit each night.  It’s delicious AND keeps you full all week!

Check back soon to see what main course I paired this with…

Total time: 10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment