Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Apple Pie Sundaes


Is that not the perfect representation of fall?!  It’s like autumn in a bowl!  It tasted just as good as it looks too!  Think of an apple pie a la mode, without the crust and with tons of whipped cream and apple pie spice.  I loved how the warm apples softened the cold vanilla ice cream so it was slightly melted.  My mouth is watering as I type this…

I found the recipe for the warm apples from Bobby Flay’s Caramel Apple Cheesecake recipe, which looks delicious, but is a little too advanced for this blog, and my kitchen, so I decided to use the warm apples in a different way – over ice cream!  I halved the recipe and omitted the vanilla bean and the apple brandy, because I didn’t have them handy and figured most other college kids wouldn’t either.  I used a teaspoon of vanilla extract as a substitute for the vanilla bean.

Apple Pie Sundae
Adapted recipe and photos by Culinary Chronicles of a College Kid.blogspot.com
Original recipe for the cooked apples by Bobby Flay

Serves: 7-8

  • 3 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into cubes
  • 1 cups apple juice
  • 1/8 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon cold butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Place the apple juice, sugar, and vanilla extract in a sauté pan over high heat and cook until slightly thickened.  Stir in the butter until melted.  Add the apples to the mixture and stir occasionally. 


Once they are lightly caramelized and soft, take the pan off of the heat and let sit for a few minutes.  Pour over a scoop of vanilla ice cream and add whipped cream and apple pie spice for garnish.  Enjoy!




Eat it fast before it melts!

I made this for our family Thanksgiving dinner and it was the perfect festive ending to the holiday meal.  Make them next time you have company or get together with friends.  There’s no shame in making one for yourself though…I may do that right now :)

Total time: 20 minutes

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! I can't wait to try this recipe... when I make it I'll definitely let you know how it turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete