Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cinnamon Crescent Rolls with a Sugar Glaze


Looking for a morning treat to satisfy your sweet tooth?  I’ve found the solution!  Put down the Cinnamon Toast Crunch and follow this recipe for an easier version of a breakfast classic.  I made these cinnamon crescent rolls for my Monday morning class and it was just the energy boost we needed to keep us awake.  All but one was gobbled up!

When I first found this recipe, I had flashbacks to eating the REAL cinnamon rolls (the giant ones with tonsss of icing) on special occasions when I was a kid.  Whenever we had a snow day, a half a day of school, or birthdays, I would wake up to the smell of cinnamon and sugar and SPRINT to the kitchen to claim the gooiest roll in the batch before my sisters did.  This time, the roles were reversed, as my housemates were the ones flocking to the kitchen to get their hands on these fancy crescent rolls.  If a recipe can drag a bunch of college kids out of bed at 8:30 a.m., you KNOW it must be good!

Cinnamon Crescent Rolls with a Sugar Glaze
Adapted recipe and photos by Culinary Chronicles of a College Kid.blogspot.com
Original recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net

Makes 16 rolls

Cinnamon Rolls
  • 2 packages of crescent rolls
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 4 tsp cinnamon
Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp milk
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Combine the cinnamon and the granulated sugar in a small bowl and mix well.  Unroll the crescent rolls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Spread a thin layer of butter on each roll and top with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.  Tip: Don’t afraid to be generous!  The crescent dough puffs up in the oven and will overpower the cinnamon and sugar flavor unless you use a heavy hand.


Roll the dough up from the largest end to the smallest.  Top each with another thin layer of butter and the cinnamon and sugar mixture.  Place in the oven for about ten minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.


While the rolls are cooking, combine all the ingredients for the glaze in a bowl and mix well until a smooth consistency is formed.  Pour this glaze over the rolls just before serving.


I unfortunately did not have time to make the glaze for my class that morning, as one of my classmates graciously called me out on, but I appreciated the feedback and would love to hear what YOU think of this recipe as well!  Please comment and tell me how yours came out!

Total time: 25 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment