Saturday, November 20, 2010

Southwestern Chicken Wrap


I was at the supermarket the other day and found myself wandering down the chips aisle.  I’m usually on a tight schedule, so I tend to get into a routine of grabbing the same things on the shelves.  I went to reach for my favorite honey wheat pretzels when ONE jar of salsa caught the corner of my eye.  It was THE salsa that I had been looking for all semester!  It was meant to be, I’m convinced.  I had tried it once at my cousin's house and fell in love, but have been unable to find it ever since.  This amazing creation is a corn and black bean red pepper salsa, and it is the best thing I have ever dipped a chip in. 

Of course, it was ridiculously expensive, as most of the best things in life are.  It was $5.99…waaay more than I was willing to spend on a jar of salsa.  On top of that, I would have to buy chips to go with the salsa.  The thought of passing it up was heartbreaking, so I resolved to buy the salsa but skip on the chips…I could find another use for the tasty dip!  I was forced to be creative, so I came up with a southwestern wrap in which the salsa would be the star of the show!

You can try this with any kind of salsa, but I would recommend the Desert Pepper Trading Company Corn Black Bean Red Pepper Salsa.  It really makes the dish!

Southwestern Chicken Wrap
Original recipe and photos by Culinary Chronicles of a College Kid.blogspot.com

Serves 1

  • About 3 tbsp salsa
  • ½ can chicken breast (yes, they sell other things in cans besides tuna and sardines)
  • 1/3 cup cheddar cheese (add more if you want!)
  • 1 tortilla
  • splash of lime juice to bring out the flavors in the salsa (optional)

    Woops, forgot the tortilla!
Mix the salsa with the chicken in a small bowl.  Add more if you prefer.



Place the mixture in the microwave for 1 minute, in 30 second intervals.  Place on the tortilla and top with cheese.


Put the tortilla in the microwave for another 30 seconds, or until the cheese is melted.  Fold the tortilla by folding the ends in first and then rolling the rest accordingly, as show in the picture below.



Cut in half and enjoy!



I love this wrap – it was super easy and full of flavor.  It tasted really authentic, like I was at a real Mexican restaurant!  And the best part is, you don’t have to slave over cooking the corn, tomatoes and beans yourself…it’s all prepared in the salsa!

Total time: 10 minutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment