Monday, November 8, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Linguini with Turkey Sausage, Tomatoes, Mozzarella, and Spinach


Seeing the mall already decorated for Christmas, and advertisements on ABC Family for the “Countdown to 25 Days of Christmas” has really started to get me in the mood for the season’s festivities.  I know that many get annoyed by the premature holiday décor and music, but I’ll admit I can’t get enough of it.  My favorite time of year can’t come soon enough! 

With all of this excitement come thoughts of holiday traditions and, of course, lots of food.  I haven’t had a home-cooked meal in a few weeks, and the anticipation for holiday meals with the family has gotten me a little homesick.  So, I decided to prepare an Italian meal that resembles something exactly like what my mother would make on a Sunday night.  This pasta dish was just what I needed to hold me over until I go back to New Jersey for homecooking over Thanksgiving break.  This is my version of “comfort food,” and hopefully it will cure your homesick cravings too!

Linguini with Turkey Sausage, Tomatoes, Mozzarella, and Spinach
Adapted recipe and photos by Culinary Chronicles of a College Kid.blogspot.com
Original recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net


Serves 4-5

  • 9 oz linguine
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 5 turkey sausage, removed from casings
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced (finely chopped)
  • 1 cup of chicken broth
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 ½ cups of grape tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1 ½ cups of spinach (original recipe called for arugula but I had spinach leftover from earlier in the week, and it tasted great!)
  • 10-12 mozzarella balls, cut in half
  • salt and pepper to taste

First, place a large skillet over medium heat and coat the bottom of the pan with the olive oil.  Then, place a large pot of water over medium heat and wait for it to come to a boil for your pasta.  Remove the casings from the sausage and use your hands to form small balls of meat. 

Cook the sausage balls in the skillet for 4-5 minutes, while constantly turning them with a spatula so that they are cooked thoroughly.  Add the garlic and tomatoes to the skillet and continue stirring for about a minute or so.  Then, add the chicken broth, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the skillet.  Stir and let sit for about 8-10 minutes. 

Add the pasta into the boiling water.  This should be ready at about the same time as the sausage and tomatoes.  If you aren’t sure whether it is done cooking or not, you can always use the old Italian trick of throwing it against the wall.  If it sticks, it’s done!

Of course, we would never turn down a food fight.  It's cooked!

After your pasta has stuck to the wall, drain the rest of it and place in a large bowl.  Pour the sausage and tomato mixture over the past and mix well.  Add the mozzarella and spinach and mix again.  Enjoy!


As I mentioned earlier, this meal definitely satisfied the Italian in me that has been living off of grilled cheeses and cookies for the past week.  Try it out if you miss your mother’s home-cooking as much as me :)


Total time: 30 minutes

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering why there was spaghetti on the wall the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. Thank you for causing my appetite to go bonkers while getting work done in the Donnelly Lab :)

    ReplyDelete