Monday, December 27, 2010

Stromboli


I’m back!  Sorry for the hiatus, these past few weeks have been crazy with cramming for finals and last minute Christmas shopping.  Now that things have calmed down, I’ll be posting some great recipes every few days again :)

As a “sorry for not posting in forever” and “thanks for coming back to read,” I’m posting my all time favorite recipe.  Stromboli is an appetizer that my family enjoys on Christmas Eve only – a tradition that dates back to my mother’s childhood.  It is loved by all and is probably more anticipated for than the presents under the tree.  This dish has been my responsibility for the past few years, as I started to take an interest in cooking, and it is crucial that I get it right…or I will never hear the end of it!

Because this recipe has been passed down from generations, the exact measurements have been lost in translation.  I’ll do my best to estimate, though.  You may have a little leftover cheese or pepperoni, but I’m sure you can find other uses for it!

Stromboli
Original recipe and photos by Culinary Chronicles of a College Kid.blogspot.com

Serving: 1 Stromboli

  • 1 package of Pillsbury French Bread dough
  • 1/2 pound of sliced provolone cheese
  • 1/2 pound of sliced pepperoni

    We usually go to the deli and get fresh cold cuts, but we didn't have time this year.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Then, clear a flat, clean surface to work on.  Open the dough according to package instructions and unroll along the perforations.  Make sure to be very careful with this part, as the dough is pretty thin and pulling or stretching too hard could cause it to tear. 


Once the dough is opened flat, place the slices of cheese on top, covering the entire surface.  Then, do the same with the pepperoni, directly on top of the cheese.


Roll the dough back up very slowly, so that none of the cheese or pepperoni falls out or the dough tears.



Gently press the dough at the ends of the stromboli to make sure that it is completely sealed.  Place on a pan covered with aluminum foil and put into the oven. 


Here’s the tricky part that I mentioned earlier about things being lost in translation…I’m not quite sure how long it takes to cook!  Our family is always so excited for it to come out of the oven, that we are constantly checking on it every five minutes.  We always pull it out once the outside turns a golden brown color.  It seems like an eternity when we are waiting for it, but I’m estimating it probably takes between 30-35 minutes in the oven.


Let it cool for five minutes before slicing.


I wasn’t able to get a picture of the inside of the stromboli before my family ate it all, so here’s a photo of what it should look like:

Photo courtesy of ThePioneerWoman.com
Be sure to set a piece aside for yourself before you serve, because I guarantee it will all be devoured before you can blink!

Everyone flocks


Hiiii Taylor

Norm/Dad/Pop

Leslie - the pickiest eater in the world. If she approves, it MUST be good.

Aunt Kathy!

So here’s my Christmas present to all of you – one of our most beloved family traditions.  Hope it brings as much happiness to your loved ones as it does to mine!

Total time: 45 minutes

P.S. I got some cool new cooking appliances and cookbooks for Christmas, so you can expect some interesting recipes in the future!

3 comments:

  1. I can personally attest to the perfection of the end result of this recipe. Julie has mastered the art of the stromboli. I think she can do all kinds of variations on it too (different fillings, etc) Btw, Stromboli is a volcano in Italy - do you think that's where the name comes from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A volcano of deliciousness - makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious. I don't have a recipe for stromboli so you have become my go to source. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete